Wednesday, June 24, 2009

Life, Death and moments with your sister

Sunday was Father's Day. It was a very busy day for us.

We ministered in Garrettsville for 2 services (9 & 11AM), lunch with Pastor, and then a visit to my in-laws for a belated birthday party and Father's Day celebration. Got home just before 8PM.....12 short hours later. I was whipped. My sister came over and brought the kids some ice cream....about 9:45pm a phone call came from Trinidad...my grandfather had just passed away at the age of 97.

Saying that grandpa was 97 is all relative because back in those days...... they did not register a birth right away......so the thought is that grandpa was somewhere around 103. Wow....what a long life. He rode his bike 20 miles per day well into his 70's. He was a very healthy man until a few years ago when his memory started to go and his body began to fail.

Back to the story....I fell asleep around 11:15 and the phone rang 15min. later. It was my sister, she had found a flight for dad that was not $ 1,200, did not leave out of Toronto, Canada, in fact it was only $ 350 but dad had to be at Cleveland Hopkins at 4:00 for his 6AM flight. All this would not be that bad if your parents did not live 3 and a half hours from you.

So I got dressed and headed over to my sister's house since her husband was out of state on business. We had not had a sleepover with just the 2 of us since I got married 14 years ago.

There are some things in life that just is made better because you have a sibling.....there is someone with whom you have an exclusive history with and things to laugh about.

We also realized that we have gotten use to sleeping with our husbands because I could not sleep because she is a heat machine and moves to much. She had issues with me because I don't sleep once I have been awaken. Therefore.....I want to talk and she wants to sleep.

We got out of bed at 2AM, got dressed, and went to Wal-Mart because dad needed a few things picked up. What a hoot!!! We laughed because it was just us and the workers at 2:30 in the morning.

Picked-up mom and dad in Mayfield and headed to the airport......dropped dad at 3:55 and went to park the car. Yea....we made it!!!

We stayed with him until he did the security thing at 5:15AM. Left the airport, picked-up his car in Mayfield and was back home in my bed by 6:30AM. But the story did not end there......

After just 1 short hour of sleep...people in my house were up and very surprised that their Grammie was in their house asleep. IT WAS TOOOO FUNNY!!

The kids could not believe all this happened while they were sleeping.

Mom went back to Lima on Monday to get things straight for church while they are gone and tomorrow she will head to Toronto for a family reunion. Because my sister will be out of town and our schedule is so jammed pack, my cousin (brother) Anil will be driving here to pick her up and take her back to Toronto for the reunion.....all in the same day. She's going to spend a few days with her sister and family and then back to Cleveland before dad comes home next week.

I have thought a lot about the process of life this week and the importance of family.

I am thankful for a close family. We love and support each other even though we live all over the world. There is something to be said about being Indian and the duty we are raised with concerning family. There is a bond that we share that is strong and gives us the opportunity to ALWAYS have someone to depend on when it is needed the most.

Thanks sis!!

(I have posted some pics for your enjoyment)

No comments: