Friday, May 2, 2008

The "Woman" in my life - Part 2

Yesterday I told you about mom's childhood.
Today, I want to talk about the example she has given my sister and I about commitment.
As I mentioned, mom left a very comfortable life to be married to a pastor. When she met dad, he said his weeks pay was what she had in spending or play money. Her wedding ring cost $ 27.
I am sure in the material sense of the word she had some adjusting to do.
In 1969, dad felt God calling him to the United States. So, they packed up what they had and me and we moved to Toledo, OH. Now, there were a few bumps along the way. Mom and I did not have a Visa for the US at first, so we had to live in Toronto, Canada with my aunt for a while.
I am not sure I have what it takes to pack up my family and move to another country. I am 3 and a half hours away from my parents and I miss them very much.
Those first few years required discipline and commitment to re-build and make a new life for themselves.
There were many nights, I remember being put in the car late at night from my sleep because dad had to go pick mom up from work because she was working second shift. That way someone was always home with me.
In 1974, I was almost 10 years old and my sister Kimberly came along. Mom and dad had recently purchased their first home in the United States.
In 1975, mom and dad left their jobs to pastor a small church in southern Ohio. Again, it would require sacrifice and commitment.
I have watched mom (and dad) sacrifice my entire life. They have shown commitment even when others would have bailed out.
We live in a society that wants everything and wants it the easy way. Thanks mom for showing me that sometimes, you have to hang on a little longer and be committed to what I have put my hands too. I know the Lord will reward you greatly for the many sacrifices and commitments that you have made and kept in your life.

No comments: