Sunday, June 15, 2008

For the Love of Dad


Today is Father's Day.
I am actually a little sad today because dad is 3 hours away in another city. Now, I really have no reason to be sad because dad is healthy and lives a full life. I still miss him extra on days like today.
My dad has always been my hero. He has been the perfect "girl" dad. He has done crazy things like letting me paint his nails, give him a facial, or have a water fight in the house.
He has always been available to listen and offer advise. He has said "sorry" when he felt he wronged me. He has gone to bat for me more times than I can count.
Dad is also a pastor. He embodies what a shepherd should be to his flock. I have watched him in good times and bad. He is always understanding and loves people no matter what. He preaches God's word and is a student of the word also.
Many pastor's children struggle and end up hating the ministry. My sister and I have been blessed to see a man preach the word and live what he preaches.
Dad taught me so many things about the ministry and how a pastor and his family should be.
He loves our mother and treats her like she is the queen of the home. He has never said a bad word about her or put her down in front of us. She is his queen.
He has always modeled to us what we should be treated like and how we should have our home.
Now that I have my own daughter, it is so much fun to watch him be Pa Pa. My daughter brings that wonderful smile to dads face when she does crazy things to him like I did.
He bursts with pride for her accomplishments just like she is his own daughter.
The day I was in labor with her, dad was in the waiting room next to my room. Everyone told me that he had a glass up to the plug trying to hear what was going on during those 20 min. of pushing. The moment finally came and he got to see his first grandchild.......I will never forget the look on his face.
There are so many more things I could say about dad.
I will say that I thank God for giving me the father that I have. I have the honor of being his daughter. (the picture is a nervous father on my wedding day)
Happy Father's Day, dad......I love you!

No comments: