Thursday, March 27, 2008

A Musical Heritage


Yesterday I read an article about the History of Congregational Song in the Assemblies of God.
The article caught my eye because I collect Hymnals and I saw 4 of them I do not have.
Growing up A/G, I remember singing all of those hymns that had the "Pentecostal holds" (whole notes that were not written in the music), high notes that were so high yet people sang them anyhow. Of course the songs that had so many verses that I wondered how long the song could last.
As an adult, I find myself sitting at the piano playing those very songs that now bring comfort to my soul. Don't get me wrong, I am a musician and love the new songs and worship materials that come out. They challenge my musical abilities and spiritually speak to times of great worship.
I reading the article, I thought about the fact that our children are loosing a part of their heritage when they are not exposed to "the Hymns".
Does you church sing the hymns? Chords and tempos can be updated and the old hymn can sound very much like a hot new worship song.
Read the words to those hymns and try to make them relevant to today's language.
We need to be "Anchored in the Rock, Showered with Blessings, having Just A Closer Walk, because we Know Our Redeemer Lives, until someday when we Fly Away."

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I love the hymns too, but must confess that we don't sing them a lot. I think that one of the reasons is because of new music of course; but I believe that a greater reason is because we believe what the prophet Joel wrote when he said, "I will pour out my Spirit upon all people." "Your sons and daughters will prophesy." "Your old men will dream dreams,
and your young men will see visions." 29 "In those days I will pour out my Spirit even on servants—men and women alike."
I think that as hard as it is to leave those things behind, in a sense we really aren't because when you hear what God is pouring out currently it is awesome. On the other hand, I also love how some of the wonderful hymns have been rewritten and updated with current music, I love it!

Bill