Saturday, March 29, 2008

Women and Ministry

2 hot topics in one post. What was I thinking?

It's been an interesting week in the Northeast Section. Nothing bad happening, but a simple matter of "What to do with the women?" came up.

This coming Monday and Tuesday, we have a Pastor's Prayer Retreat. Last week the email came to remind the group about the retreat and there.....in the last paragraph was the "Sorry girls....no room in the inn for your makeup.....you can come and join us on Tuesday morning if you want to pray."

Now, I thought I would have a little fun with our Sectional Secretary and responded that it seems that the girls don't need to pray these days and.....well.....PRAY BOY!!

That led to some emails, "in jest", back and forth.

The discussion reminded me of 20 years ago, when I was on the State Youth Rep. Committee and there was just Donna, myself, and 13 guys. I must say the guys did a great job at not making us feel excluded. We were left out of a few "sports" things but were invited if we wanted to join.

Those days there were not many "women in ministry" in our state. Fast forward to 2008. I reside in a section where there are 2 women Sr. Pastors, and (I think) 6 women credential holders or staff pastors. We, have come a long way. Jeannie Mayo blazed a trail for all of us. She is a legondary woman youth pastor, was the first woman to speak at General Council, and has done all kinds of things for women in ministry. We have women all over the country who are pastoring, staff pastoring, speaking and ministering to many.

I myself have a Sr. Pastor (who happens to be my Presbyter) who has supported me and had me fill his pulpit on occassion. Even the time I told him that it was Mother's Day...... "let a woman talk about being a mother."

I married a man that was not to sure about woman in ministry and today, we travel all over this country and minister together. I preach, sing, play the piano, and minister around the altars alone and with my husband. The bible does say that "two are better than one." I went to CBC back in the early 80's, and I still think about the women that were there to "be a pastor's wife." I also knew women that, like myself, felt God's call on their lives to be a minister. I am a pastor's wife but I feel that my calling is just as important as my husband's call.

It's 2008 and the A/G boys club could use a female touch. Has the Assemblies of God moved forward in our thinking regarding Women and Ministry? Yes, but I think we need to do some more work. We have reached a level that we should stop talking about men and women and talk about People Called To Minister.

I would love to hear the toughts of others reading this blog. Sometimes we sweep these issues under the rug and a good healthy discussion with action would be great.

4 comments:

LAURIE said...

I found your blog thru a friend and I am married to a AG Minister, I do not preach like my husband but my role as a "minister" is just as great and as important as his. When God called him (my husband) into ministry He did not call him alone, God also called me. My ministry involves teaching and mentoring women and as long as I avail myself to what God is leading me to do, I think God is honored.

I believe the AG leaders are more open to women in ministry today than 25 years ago. In our section, there are several female's leading behind the pulpits and every time we attend an ordination interview process I see more and more WOMEN being certified, licensed or ordained. I am not promoting the product that goes along with this saying, but I like the saying....

"WE'VE COME A LONG WAY BABY!"

Keep up the good work!!

Deb Seenarine Wilson said...

Thanks Laurie.
It is a fact that God calls the wife as well as the husband and I believe that He places the children in that family for special reasons.
We are blessed to have an organization that supports woman in ministry and their callings.
Debbie

Anonymous said...

Hi there...welcome to the AG blog ring :o) I'm in the process of getting my certification...it's been a dream since even before I attended NCBC, thought it's been a long road...(now North Central U) I've written about a few WMs topics on my blog...sometimes I wonder if we've somehow gone backwards with WIMs...there was a time when many women were evangelists and ordained within the AG and Foursquare...my grandma being one of them... I enjoyed reading your posts!!! Keep them coming :o)

Mary Beth said...

Well... I was CALLED to be a pastor's wife... but I feel it is a high a calling as being a pastor.

As far as being a women in ministry.... the first person we hired as lead pastors was a female youth pastor. She was awesome.

I do think we need to remember how many a/g churches were started by women... the one I grew up in for one!

I do think we are progressing in this area. We need to be patient and show ourselves GODLY and God will open the doors for us as we remain faithful and pure of heart.

BTW... I am thinking about pursing my credentials. NEVER thought I would. Hubby is encouraging me to do so... GOD has been opening many area of ministry for me in the lines of speaking.