Thursday, April 10, 2008

The ICU

Yesterday was a difficult day. We spent a great portion of the day in the ICU with someone from our church.
Susan is around 45 years old, has a husband who loves her, and 2 teenage daughters. Susan also has Chrones Disease and Cancer in her bones.
On Tuesday, she bent over and felt something pop in her back. Susan began experiencing great pain. Her husband called 911 and she was taken to the hospital. Susan seemed to be doing fine and about 4 am on Wednesday morning, she went into Cardiac arrest.
Now Susan lies in the ICU hooked up to 6 different IV poles, a machine breathing for her and various medicines. There are doctors and nurses in her room frequently.
As I sat and talked with Susan's husband, the hymn "Wonderful Peace" kept going through my mind. After some time I got up and leaned over Susan's bed and sang:
1)Far away in the depths of my spirit tonight. Rolls a melody sweeter than psalm; In celestial like strains it unceasingly falls O'er my soul like an infinite calm. 5) Ah! soul, are you here without comfort or rest, Marching down the rough pathway of time? Make Jesus your friend ere the shadows grow dark; oh, accept this sweet peace so sublime. (Chorus) Peace! Peace! Wonderful peace, coming down from the Father above, Sweep over my spirit forever I pray, In fathomless billows of love.
As a christian, I know that when I face life's struggles and even death, I have a hope. A hope of a brighter tomorrow with a PEACE that only Jesus can give.
Rest in that peace today Steve, Susan, Becca and Anna!

No comments: