Friday, April 18, 2008

White Carpet and Other Spring Cleaning Issues




So, my blog has been filled with Spring Cleaning stuff for the past week or so. Today is no exception but this one has a little twist.
We built our home almost 9 years ago. Allen and I were the general contractors and did as much as we could on our own. For 2 people not knowing what in the world they were doing, we did not do to bad. It was a labor of love and desperation for our own home. Until that point we had our Home, Sweet, Apartment.
I did not want to be tied into a color theme in the house because I knew this was my one chance for at least 10 years or so to have things the way I wanted it......boy, was I right...we have not changed any color scheme since then.
We installed off-white carpet all over the house besides for the kids bedrooms. That was just fine and it has worn well because we do not wear our shoes in the house. Our Formal Living Room has all white furniture and most of the walls are off-white.
We planned to get a cheaper piano for me to teach students in the basement (it's finished) to keep the traffic out of the house. Like all good plans....we hit a snag......and God's plan........we went back to ministry and Allen kept his day job during the week. The money was gone for updating and re-decorating.
It's now 2008 and I teach the piano lessons in my formal living room with my white furniture. Enter, John.....(we'll hide his name for all concerned). John is a strong will boy who is not to keen on listening. It has been a struggle that NO ONE EVER TAUGHT ME ABOUT AT CBC!!!! I'm going to write a book about all the things I did not learn at CBC.
John loves to run in my house, put his feet on the furniture, run up and down my stairs with his dirty shoes.............I think I will stop there....you get the picture.
Now, I spent time cleaning the living room and started working on the stairs in the entry way.
Today was one of those typical days that John did not feel like listening. He sneezed on the piano keys and went running up the stairs while his baby sister was laying on the couch drinking her juice. So much for spring cleaning.
I would have gotten my hind end blazed for that when I was little and my children would have the same fate. John's mom says she cannot get him to listen to her.
I was feeling so great about that "clean" smell of the 1st floor of our home but now must disinfect and re-clean areas that I already cleaned.
All this just goes to prove that cleaning only lasts so long......then......people come over and your family comes home...time to start again.

No comments: