Wednesday, June 10, 2009

It was just yesterday


This morning I woke up as the mother of a 7th and 4th grader. I simply cannot believe it.
I spent the weekend handing out diplomas to graduating seniors. Went to 2 - 5th grade promotions and shook 240+hands at 8th grade promotion.
For some reason I felt very emotional. I always think that I am ready for the different stages of my children's life but the older I get........I AM NOT READY!!!
Was it not just yesterday that the strip turned pink and I found out that I was going to be a mom?
There are moments in my children's life that feels like it was yesterday.
The day that she was sick for the first time and I worried about her being healthy. BTW....she is sick today and running a fever....the feelings have not changed.
The day that I walked into Munson Co-Op with my sister and "checked-out" Miss Amy and her school. How do you say THANKS to one of the MOST EXCEPTIONAL teachers and people that I have ever met. This woman has exemplified (to this day) how teachers should be. She simply loves her job and her students. She has always gone above and beyond what is expected of her.
How about the first day of Kindergarten when my little girl wore her orange bow, striped top, jean skirt and her sandals. She seemed so small walking into that big building.
3rd grade came along to quickly and my heart broke everyday that she cried because she had to go to her home school. You see the school of choice was full and had no room for another 3rd grader. It all ended up part of God's great plan for her but those tears everyday was more than mom could handle at times.
5th grade came along and what can I say..........the drama began. There were some lessons that were encountered and the tears flowed. I would have given anything to take away the pain.
This past year we have started to deal more with hormones, boys, friends, clothes, make-up, victories, and disappointments.
Raising boys are a different story for me. In our case......it seems to be......steady as he goes.
His greatest battle is just building himself up to TAKE THE CHANCE.....He just might like whatever he tries.
He also had Miss Amy.....she changed his diapers and helped us conquer potty training. She was there to help in the reading during the summer. Then he went to Pre-K at the same school that I was teaching K thru 8 Music. I could go and see him when I had a break. Then came Kindergarten, Matthew had no adjustment problems to being there all day. It has always been......BYE MOM!! He thinks he's tooooo cool for mom.
Both kids are very blessed and do very well in school. They both have their sports and activities that they enjoy and do well at most everything they try. They seem to have no shortage of friends and are very social (Brittney more so than Matthew). He is a chick magnet.......it's really funny because he cannot stand girls.
How does mom deal with all these changes in their lives? Prayer.
I can teach my children so many things but the greatest thing I can teach them is the power of prayer. I can live an example that shows them what a difference God can make in their everyday lives and be the BEST FRIEND that is always needed.
Now, none of that changes the fact that I love it when they are home under our roof. We take every new school year and adventure one step at a time......knowing the fact that we have 18 short years to build the foundation and after that.........the parenting changes.
I look forward to everyday with the expectation of watching them grow and change......even when I am not ready for it!!

No comments: