Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Memories

Today, I had a doctor's appointment in Geneva. It's funny....I only go to Geneva for doctor's appointments or to see friends during the holidays.
Do you have better memories as time passes?
I cannot help myself as I drive into the town but to remember my days in Jr. High School and Geneva High School.
I still remember the first Sunday we were at Geneva Assembly of God (my dad was the new pastor) in 1978. I met Holly Whitmire that day, she was there to introduce me to people at Geneva Jr. High since it was the middle of the school year. Although Holly and I did not remain close in High School, we still maintained a friendship and do to this day. I will never forget riding to Youth Convention in the back of (I think Kitty's truck) and Holly's mom being in our room. We got lost and made it to the service when it was almost over. Sis. Whitmire was a hoot back in those days and I am sure she still is.
I can think of so many people that I have been blessed in my life to meet. They have all had a part of shaping who I am today.
I think about my days in Marching Geneva....even though I was a BQ....it was different in Geneva for some reason. There is something about that band.....there is an Alumni Band today that performs for Grape Jamboree and there is a Marching Geneva FB page.....what does that have to say about a bond that you all share?
I laugh about sleepovers with Holly Euype (my HS Bud), Birthday parties with MB Emigh, trip to Kings Island with Kelly and Amy, Youth Convention, Tiny Bubbles (my name on the back of my band shirt), the glass enclosure.....great talking took place there, to boyfriend or not with Mark Tamblyn (enough said by the name), Studay Hall 100, senior doughnut sales, cookie grams........there are so many more memories.
The other day, I found Mr. Stand (our band director as freshmen). He was one of those teachers that taught me valuable lessons outside of the classroom that I did not even know about at the time.
The one thing I can say is that 26 years later, I am thankful for the friendships. Some have been renewed over the past few years and all have a common bond.....Geneva High School.
There was a little song I learned in elementary school that I want to share with you:
"Make new friends, but keep the old. One is silver and the other gold."
Thanks......all of you GOLD friends!!

3 comments:

Kelly said...

I still think about that trip very fondly! The Beast is still, in my estimation, the best roller coaster EVER! A BQ at GHS in different because it was the COOLEST band! Just hearing "On Broadway" takes me to a Friday night on Eastwood Street.
Good Times
Good Times...

Deb Seenarine Wilson said...

Actually, everytime I hear Marching Geneva play that and We Got The Beat....I cannot help but think....We introduced that song to the Geneva fans and here it is.....still being played.
It will be sad when the team moves to their new field by the highway.
Oh my gosh...the BEAST.....I was sceared to death!!! Didn't you or Amy find a $ 100. I remember someone did but I forget who.

Kelly said...

I did not find $100...
I did ride the Beast about a hundred times!