Friday, June 19, 2009

Treasure




I have been spending the day today cleaning out my closet.
It is NO secret that I Love Shoes.....I am somewhere between 125 and 150. Who counts anymore!!
Anyhow, for some reason cleaning the closet has caused me to think about our "earthly" treasures.
I think we all have "stuff" that we can say we treasure.
Some can say they treasure their spouses, children, cars, TV program(s), stamps, tools, clothes, motor cycle, house, SHOES..you name it. We can all put something in that spot.
The problem comes when we put our treasure before our walk with the Lord. OUCH!!
Yea, you did read correctly.
I can put my family before my relationship with the Lord, I can put my love for Shoes before my relationship with the Lord, I can put my love of summer and the fun that those sunny days bring before my relationship with the Lord......YOU fill in the blank.
When you find yourself spending more time chasing down a shoe sale, time with friends, listening to music.....it does not matter what it is. We need to be careful.
The bible has a few scriptures that we need to consider:
Matthew 6:1-34: Talks about praying, our treasure, and Anxiety
Hebrews 10:25: "Not forsaking the assembling of ourselves together, as the manner of some is; but exhorting one another: and so much the more, as ye see the day approaching."
Our relationship with the Lord is one of "working out" our salvation. We need to search our hearts daily and see if there is anything separating us from what God would desire for perfect communion.
I always want to keep my eyes on the Ultimate Treasure!
Finally, I want to share a song with you that was popular back in the 80's. Some of you might remember it. The title is TREASURE by Gary Chapman. Here are the words:
They say that were your treasure is
There will your heart be also
And your heart stays where you hide your greatest love
Now you can leave that love on earth
Where thieves may steal tomorrow
Or you can take it to
That hiding place above
Where there`s a treasure at the end
Of this narrow road I`m traveling
And it gives me a purpose for my life
Jesus is my treasure
He`s the reason that I am living
And he`s gonna be my reason when I die
So if you`ve been wondering where you are
And where it is you`re going
He`s left a map for you and me to use
Just read the map and follow close
Always walking where it`s showing
You just can`t miss it
It`s way too much to lose
See there`s a treasure at the end
Of this narrow road
I`m traveling
And it gives me a purpose for my life
Jesus is my treasure
He`s the reason that I`m still living
And he`s gonna be my reason when I die

No comments: