Wednesday, April 2, 2008

Friendship and my Daughter


I'm a mom going experiencing puberty for the 2nd time. Oh Yes!! I don't know if I'm up for it the second time like I was the first time.
My daughter is almost 11 and in the 5th grade. She is a gifted student and God has blessed her with many wonderful attributes.
God, fashion, school, and friends have been her world. Until this year..........Do you hear the music in the background? Yes folks, my beautiful, smart, carefree daughter now has hormones and is experiencing girls (and their claws)in 5th grade. We ride the emotional coaster every once in a while and most of the time, it's not bad. But those days when "the twins" are on her case, my sweet little girl turns into a grouch.
The kids have been back in school from Spring Break for 3 days and these 3 days have not been the best. Yesterday I spent over an hour on the phone with her teacher about the situation.
I pray for her daily that God will being her out of this school year stronger so that, when she goes to Middle School, she will be able to deal with the catty girl situation better.
There have been some valuable lessons this year about how to choose your friends.
As a mother, it's been hard for me to not offer all of my advise and let her work this thing out on her own.
Quality friendships are a lot of work. I pray that Brittney surrounds herself with friends that will build her up and that they will be friends for life.
A few years ago, I reconnected with 3 girls that were friends in high school. This year we will attend our 25th class reunion. Tomorrow, I want to talk about the seasons of friendship.

No comments: